Monday, August 25, 2014

Communication and Humility

Hey family!

Wow, what a crazy week. Sounds like you had fun too with school starting and everything. That's so crazy, everybody is growing up! Jayson driving to school, Kyla is wearing makeup (you look beautiful by the way hermanita!), Bryce isn't even IN school... crazy! 

So there was an earthquake here a couple nights ago, you're right. I unfortunately didn't feel it. I've always wanted to feel a small one. And every time one has happened at home, or here, I'm always sleeping. Just my luck right? Just as long as I'm not in a big one though. :)

Afton is engaged? To Brandon Taylor? Wow. Tell them congrats for me if you see them! It's super crazy to see everyone getting engaged right and left. We like to keep up on the missionary gossip out here, and when a missionary that served here goes home and gets engaged, we all find out. People get married super fast. Remember Sister Craig? She got home, got engaged 3 weeks later, and got married less than 9 weeks after that. So less than two transfers after being home, she was married. Weird right? Especially since she didn't really date the guy before. but they knew each other. It was interesting! But they're happy, and that's all that matters right?

Sounds like education week was fun too. I love quinoa. It's delicious. But yeah, expensive. They also make quinoa pasta. I saw it at grocery outlet last week. So that's fun!

So I know you all want to know what happened with transfers, so I'll cut to the chase. I stayed companions with hermana G-G and we're staying in our area, and Hermana Boyd got a new companion-- Hermana Quintana (I served with her in Monterey! She's awesome), and they are taking over on the the elders areas, while the elders are in a trio. It's fun. The poor hermanas are so stressed and so tired, but they are working really hard, and I know that things will get figured out soon. That means that there are 4 of us in our 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment though, which always makes things fun. We got a bunk bed, and had to rearrange all of our furniture, but it was really fun. And now our apartment is dejunked of all the former missionary clutter, and it's clean and fresh! Yay!

So the most exciting news of the week is that Amada and Bernardo decided to get baptized this Saturday the 30th of August. We are SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited! They are both progressing so much. We had a little scare though. Bernardo didn't understand the whole word of wisdom thing. He didn't get why we can't drink coffee since it's natural and from the earth and everything. So that first lesson didn't go super well because of a few different things. But we met with him the next morning, and focused on faith, and blessings that come from our obedience. He agreed to stop drinking coffee, or at least try his best. That's all we can ask right? But he was totally good with tithing, and now we just have to teach the small things. It will be an exciting, exhausting week. :)

Something that I've been thinking a lot about this week is communication and humility. Sometimes, having a companion is hard. Really hard. And my companion and I have a bit of a struggle communicating. There are a lot of times where we have a slight disagreement or something, and she just stops talking. And I try to talk to her about it, and she won't really talk. Or she just justifies her actions, her point of view. Now to solve the problem, I have to apologize for whatever it is that I did wrong. But I haven't gotten a single apology this week, even though I try to be open and tell her that when she does x, it makes me feel sad, or I don't really appreciate it, or whatever. And sometimes it's hard to be the bigger person. But I think Heavenly Father is teaching me patience. And how to communicate. In Relief Society yesterday the lesson was on marriage. And the sisters were talking about communication, and how it takes tolerance, and humilty. Obviously we aren't perfect, and neither is our spouse/companion. Sometimes we have to apologize, even if we didn't do anything wrong. Even though it's hard. We have to be the bigger person, and step up to the plate. Lead by example. communicate with them, even if they don't communicate with you. I have my weaknesses, so does she, but if I want the companionship to work, I have to do my best. Even when it's hard. It may sound like something I should've learned a long time ago, but it's been on my mind, and I'm having to relearn it. :)

Thanks for all the love and support. I love you all, and I hope you have a fantastic week! 

lots of love,
Hermana Bingham


Here are the pictures are of our early morning hike today. 8.77 miles! I'm exhausted. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment